Sunday, May 22, 2011

Do bunnies go to Heaven?

So, lately Serene has been very interested in the topic of Heaven. Of course, by "interested in" I mostly mean worried about and obsessed with. She has a tendency to over-think things. Anyway, back to the topic. Heaven. Well, we've talked about it on several occasions. She understands that Jesus died and rose again so she could go to Heaven, and that all she has to do is believe in and trust in Him and she will live with God forever in Heaven.
Well, some children might just be satisfied with that knowledge, but not Serene. Yesterday, she asked if there would be gum in Heaven. And she's been asking a lot about animals in Heaven. I told her that I think that there will be animals like we never imagined, but I'm not sure. (She was excited about the prospect of unicorns.) I also told her that when Jesus comes back and restores the earth that all the animals will get along. She liked that.
Well, yesterday, we went geocaching, which, if you haven't heard of it, is like high-tech treasure hunting. Well, we saw a lot of rabbits while we were out. Serene, of course, wanted to know if the bunnies would go to Heaven when they die.
Before I continue, I must add that in order to keep her from touching them, Serene's parents have told her that non-domesticated animals are dangerous. In Serene's mind, dangerous=bad. And so, after asking if the bunnies would go to Heaven, she almost immediately concluded that they must be going to Hell since they were bad.
Then, of course, the subject changed, and so little else was said of "Bunny Hell." We continued on our journey and encountered 2 of the 3 caches we searched for.
The reason I share this is mostly because I am in awe of her thoughts. Even at five, she is full of interest in the things of eternity. And I wonder if, as adults, with all our "wisdom and experience" we could not know God so much better if we were still full of the wonder and questions of children.
There are times when her questions spur on my studying of topics I have neglected. I often gain great perspective because of it.
I was reminding myself of the truth of God's Word when I told her that Heaven is better than the best things of earth, and all the things we worry about will seem silly in light of being with Jesus. (She liked that, too.)
So, this is a more serious post, but I still hope it brought you a smile. :)
Now, if only I could figure out how to translate this interest she has into appreciation for all God's blessings. Pray for us; we're working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment